As we all know since last few month whole India is talk about Digital India, Our government’s dream project to connect every Indian digitally. No doubt this is one of the main need or requirement of current generation, when other countries have reached far digitally and in India we just started thinking on this way. There are lots of benefit of making us digitally strong, But are we prepared for this ?. Does we have all the resources available to make India Digital ?. And the most important our Intentions are really towards making India Digital?.
Lets have a look on few facts :
- India has only 22% of adults who have internet access (Pew Research Center report 2015
- India lacks the routers, fiber optic links and servers that needed to be expanded
- Mobile Internet connections aren’t much better, even you don’t when your call get disconnected and mobile internet stops working
- In India 27% of India’s men use the internet and only 17% of India’s women use Internet
- Internet-connected device can be tough to buy in India where 75% of the population earns less than 5000 rupees
- India had an average internet speed of 2.8 Mbps, a growth of 11 percent quarter on quarter and 36 percent yearly growth. At the global level, India rank’s at near bottom ranking 114th in Internet speeds
If we see on these facts, we should realize that there are many things that’s needs to be fixed to make India digital. One more thing that needs to be taken care at the earliest is cyber security. In India where more than 70% people have never used internet and if they started using then these are the most easiest target for Cyber Criminals.
We all have seen or faced connectivity issue when we travel any remote area, networks drop while travelling even most of the places in metro cities we always face this issue. How many times when we were trying to do any online transaction and we were not able to do the same due to connectivity issue. How many times we see not network error in ATMs and banks. How many times we see Swipe machines are not working board in petrol pumps and all these are day to day life experiences and we all must agree for this.
Now, the big billion question, are we running in correct direction ?. We must have seen lots of advertisements in TV, hoardings on roads while travelling about Digital Dhan, Digital India, launching payment gateway apps etc. Million of rupees spend every month on the advertisement for promote Digital India. But, have we seen any step taken by authorities to make India capable for becoming India Digital.
We are giving license to private operator for 3G, 4G & 5G, but we don’t have any audit process to check are these provider are delivering such speed or not.
We are launching new apps to make payment and use bank services digitally, but we don’t have any robust process to secure our money.
We are doing lucky draws to let people use plastic money instead of paper money, but we don’t have any plan to provide seamless connectivity to people
We spend lots of money to promote the initiative, but we don’t have money to invest into Digital India.
Even in current year Budget, we have seen no major step taken towards Digital India.
Tell us your views in comment 🙂